Last Updated on
Episode 1 | How Field Trip Launched a Jerky Empire with Just $11k
with Tom Donigan, founding partner at Field Trip Jerky
In 2010, Tom Donigan and his friends Scott Fiesinger and Matt Levey launched a jerky brand on a modest $11,250 seed investment, and didn’t take on any additional money for an entire year. Today that brand – Field Trip – can be found in more than 30,000 retail locations, and last year closed a six-figure funding round.
How’d they do it? That’s what this episode of Brand Builder is all about.
In our debut episode, Tom tells Brand Builder co-hosts Jordan Cohen and Jeff Murphy how the Brooklyn-based company elevated a gas station staple and created a company that fuels adventures for thousands of people every day. In this episode you’ll learn:
- How Field Trip landed their first big distribution partnership with JetBlue airlines. Tom calls it their “first big win.” Six years later, the partnership is as strong as ever.
- How (and why) Tom and his cofounders launched their company with just $11k in seed money. Tom also breaks down the plan they came up with to make that initial investment last for the entire first year of the business.
- Why Field Trip recently refreshed their brand aesthetic. Tom tells us how the team knew it was time for a refresh, and how they pulled it off.
- The Field Trip origin story. 3:06
- Tom breaks down the difference between brand and product, and why it’s so important to develop both. 6:13
- How Field Trip landed their first major distribution partnership, and how partnerships can help amplify your brand message. 8:23
- Tom explains why how you experience Field Trip is just as important as the product itself. 12:45
- How Field Trip was able to go an entire year on just $11k seed investment, and why they eventually decided to raise some big time capital. 14:10
- Tom discusses the thinking behind Field Trip’s recent brand refresh. 17:40
- @fieldtripjerky on Instagram
- Field Trip on Faceboook
- Tom on LinkedIn
- Topo bags
Have an idea for the show? Drop us a line! Brandbuilder@snacknation.com.
Brand Builder is presented by SnackNation.