The more you take, the more you leave behind. What am I?
Okay, so this first one was a freebie, but the next question is, do you have what it takes to solve these head scratching, brain-busting riddles and brain teasers for work teams?
Better yet, maybe you’re looking for challenging or fun riddles for adults to make parties more entertaining or to up the engagement during your next team building activity. Either way, we’ve got you covered with riddles ranging from easy to hard to keep your employees on their toes.
“Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood. All is a riddle, and the key to a riddle is another riddle.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
Browse through this list of icebreaker riddles and riddles for work to stump your coworkers or employees in the most fun and entertaining way possible. And while you’re at it, see if you crack these brain-teasers! Good Luck!
Let’s check out the 45 best riddles for work in 2022!
Riddles for Work
Many of these riddles for work are based on work; however, all of them will be fun to solve with your coworkers or employees!
1. A man and his boss have the same parents, but are not siblings. How is this possible?
- Answer: He’s self-employed
- Why this is a good riddle for work: This tricky riddle for work pays homage to the self-employed.
2. Why is it so easy for an elephant to get a job?
- Answer: Because it will work for peanuts
- Why this is a good riddle for work: This silly riddle involves everyone’s favorite gentle giant. Elephants are known for being smart, but apparently, well, they’re willing to work for peanuts!
3. Why did the invisible man turn down a job offer?
- Answer: He just couldn’t see himself doing it.
- Why this is a good riddle for work: This funny work riddle happens to be a great play on words!
4. What does nobody want, yet nobody wants to lose?
- Answer: Work
- Why this is a good riddle for work: Hey, sometimes truth is truth, so we might as well laugh at it.
5. Why did the spider get a job in I.T.?
- Answer: He was a great web designer.
- Why this is a good riddle for work: This riddle for work is especially good for your I.T. department.
Icebreaker Riddles For Meetings
Icebreaker riddles are meant to give your employees or coworkers a laugh, a reason to think, or a reason to work together to solve them at your next meeting or work outing.
6. What kind of coat is always wet when you put it on?
- Answer: A coat of paint
- Why this is a good icebreaker riddle: This icebreaker riddle doubles as a word riddle, which will force everyone to think a little outside-the-box.
7. I have branches yet I have no leaves, no trunk and no fruit. What am I?
- Answer: A bank
- Why this is a good icebreaker riddle: Yet another word and icebreaker riddle hybrid. This one isn’t incredibly hard, but it’s also not the easiest.
8. How many bananas can you eat if your stomach is empty?
- Answer: Just one after that it’s not empty anymore.
- Why this is a good icebreaker riddle: This icebreaker riddle is simple, fun, and fairly easy. It’s specific enough that there really is one right answer.
9. What belongs to you but other people use it more than you?
- Answer: Your name
- Why this is a good icebreaker riddle: This icebreaker riddle is meant to be instantly understood. Sometimes those in-your-face-obvious riddles are the most interesting and the easiest to second guess.
10. What runs, but never walks. Murmurs, but never talks. Has a bed, but never sleeps. And has a mouth, but never eats?
- Answer: A river
- Why this is a good icebreaker riddle: This icebreaker riddle is like something Golum would have asked Bilbo in The Hobbit.
Funny Riddles For Work
Funny riddles will make your team laugh, and laughter is key to building a winning company culture.
11. An electric train is headed east. Where does the smoke go?
- Answer: Electric trains don’t produce any smoke!
- Why this is a funny riddle: This funny riddle is a bit of a trick question — and who doesn’t like tricks?
12. There are two monkeys on a tree and one jumps off. Why does the other monkey jump too?
- Answer: Monkey see monkey do
- Why this is a funny riddle: This funny riddle takes a classic idiom and turns it into a joke!
13. What tastes better than it smells?
- Answer: A tongue
- Why this is a good funny riddle: Sometimes the most obvious riddles are the most elusive.
14. Before Mt. Everest was discovered, what was the tallest mountain in the world?
- Answer: Everest. It just wasn’t discovered yet.
- Why this is a funny riddle: For those who love a healthy dose of sarcasm, this funny riddle is sure to satisfy.
15. What goes up and never comes down?
- Answer: Your age
- Why this is a good funny riddle: We can all laugh at Father Time. In fact, it’s best if we find a way to.
For more fun and laughter, use those riddles during your next virtual lunch party.
Easy Riddles For Adults
If you’re not in the mood for a brain games, easy riddles are the way to go. Your team will be entertained, yet will feel like problem-solving champs.
16. Contrary to my name, I am not a queen. Hold me up to things though and their length is seen.
- Answer: Ruler
- Why this is an easy riddle: We love this riddle for work because it involves serious wordplay, yet the answer is pretty straightforward.
17. This belongs to you, but everyone else uses it.
- Answer: Your Name
- Why this is an easy riddle: The key to this easy and short riddle is to think of anything else but an actual object. Use your critical thinking skills to get conceptual on this one.
18. I am higher without a head. What am I?
- Answer: A pillow
- Why this is an easy riddle: This one may take your coworkers a second, but the answer is definitely within reach after a second of thinking about it.
19. You answer me, although I never ask you questions. What am I?
- Answer: Telephone
- Why this is an easy riddle: The trick to this one is all in the wording. Your coworkers will feel like puzzle solving pros and it can be a great icebreaker question.
20. What has a face and two hands but no arms or legs?
- Answer: A clock
- Why this is an easy riddle: This riddle is simple yet effective
Hard Riddles For Adults
Hard riddles for adults are designed to get your team working together out of necessity. They’ll have to merge wits to crack these bewildering brain-busters.
21. What can travel around the world while staying in a corner?
- Answer: Stamp
- Why this is a hard riddle for adults: Because it makes sense but isn’t super obvious.
22. I’m light as a feather, but not even the strongest person can hold me for more than 5 minutes. What am I?
- Answer: Breath
- Why this is a hard riddle for adults: We love the juxtaposition of lightness and heaviness and how “hold” is used to make it sound like a physical object.
23. I speak without a mouth and hear without ears. I have nobody, but come alive with wind. What am I?
- Answer: An echo
- Why this is a hard riddle for adults: Not only is this riddle pretty hard, it’s also poetic.
24. You measure my life in hours and I serve you by expiring. I’m quick when I’m think and slow when I’m fat. The wind is my enemy.
- Answer: A candle
- Why this is a hard riddle for adults: Each hint compounds with the next to give the solver a better chance, but this difficult riddle is still as tricky as a trick candle.
25. I’m often running yet I have no legs. You need me but I don’t need you. What am I?
- Answer: Water
- Why this is a hard riddle for adults: This hard riddle is cleverly worded. That’s the fun part.
Tricky Riddles For Adults
Tricky riddles aren’t necessarily hard or easy, but are all about figuring out their hidden trick.
26. What is seen in the middle of March and April that can’t be seen at the beginning or end of either month?
- Answer: The Letter R
- Why this is a tricky riddle: This riddle works by trying to get you to think about the weather or holidays or other events linked to a calendar. To get this one right you actually need to get super literal.
27. I come from a mine and get surrounded by wood always. Everyone uses me. What am I?
- Answer: Pencil Lead
- Why this is a tricky riddle: The clue that you are looking for is in the detail. This riddle is a toughie, but wood might lead you to figure it out.
28. I am neither a guest or a trespasser, to this place I belong, it belongs also to me. What is it?
- Answer: Home
- Why this is a tricky riddle: This tricky riddle is all in the phrasing. Each hint, narrows down the possibilities.
29. Slayer of regrets, old and new, sought by many, found by few. What am I?
- Answer: Redemption
- Why this is a tricky riddle: Some of the trickiest riddles center around something in-concrete — like this one.
30. Spelled forwards I’m what you do everyday, spelled backwards I’m something you hate. What am I?
- Answer: Live
- Why this is a tricky riddle: The key to this one is figuring out the first part, and then confirming it by reversing it.
Love Riddles For Adults
If you’re looking for riddles to play on Valentine’s Day, an anniversary, or an engagement party, you’ve come to the right place! These love-themed adult riddles are sure to melt hearts and blow a few minds.
31. How do French chefs make you love them?
- Answer: They butter you up!
- Why this is a good love riddle: Because it’s a feast for the senses!
32. What do you call two Italian ants
- Answer: Romance
- Why this is a good love riddle: The riddle is a little corny, but hey, love can be a bit corny sometimes, too. That’s why they say love makes a fool out of me and you!
33. What did the paper clip say to the magnet?
- Answer: I find you very attractive
- Why this is a good love riddle: The answer to this love riddle might click instantly for your “sciencey” types.
34. What do snakes give each other when they say goodbye?
- Answer: A little hiss on the cheek
- Why this is a good love riddle: Everyone needs love — even the most reptilian among us.
35. Why did the banker break up with his girlfriend?
- Answer: He was losing interest
- Why this is a good love riddle: This love riddle is adorable and completely silly, which is exactly why we love it.
Word Riddles For Adults
Word riddles make the riddle world go round. Word riddles force us to really pay attention to semantics and every syllable of the question.
36. What has 18 legs and catches flies?
- Answer: A Baseball Team
- Why this is a good word riddle: This word riddle involves what was, at least once upon a time, America’s favorite pastime.
37. What has 13 hearts but no other organs?
- Answer: A deck of cards
- Why this is a good word riddle: For game enthusiasts this one may be a no brainer, but the way the word hearts is used will probably stump a few people in the office.
38. What word contains all of the twenty-six letters?
- Answer: Alphabet
- Why this is a good word riddle: This riddle focuses entirely on being hyper-literal.
39. What has many words but never speaks?
- Answer: A book
- Why this is a good word riddle: This is yet another word riddle that can be solved by looking at it from a hyper-literal perspective.
40. First you eat me, then you get eaten. What am I?
- Answer: A fishhook
- Why this is a good word riddle :The trick to this word riddle is in how you think about the word “you.”
Math Riddles For Work
Break out the calculator, the protractor, and whatever others mathematical tools you might need. These math riddles are designed to test your wits in the timeless art of precision.
41. What did the triangle say to the circle?
- Answer: You’re pointless
- Why this is a good math riddle: While it’s certainly a good math riddle, it also checks off all the requirements needed for at least a light laugh.
42. What is the smallest number that increases by 12 when it is flipped and turned upside down?
- Answer: 86. When it is turned upside down and flipped, it becomes 98, which is 12 more than 86.
- Why this is a good math riddle: This one will make employees or coworkers think a bit. While many entries on this list have been easy or meant to inspire a laugh, this one will create a moment of pause.
43. I am a three digit number. My tens digit is five more than my ones digit. My hundreds digit is eight less than my tens digit. What number am I?
- Answer: 194
- Why this is a good math riddle: This math riddle will probably require them to pull out a pen and paper.
44. You know 2 + 2 comes to the same as 2 x 2. Now find a set of three different whole numbers whose sum is equal to their total when multiplied.
- Answer: The three different whole numbers whose sum is equal to their total when multiplied are 1, 2, and 3.
- Why this is a good math riddle: You’ll probably also want a pen and paper handy for this math riddle as well.
45. My twin lives at the reverse of my house number. The difference between our house numbers ends in two. What are the lowest possible numbers of our house numbers?
- Answer: The lowest possible numbers for the houses are 19 and 91. The difference is 72.
- Why this is a good math riddle: Because this math riddle is outright tricky!
People Also Ask These Questions About Riddles for Adults
Q: What are some good riddles for team building?
- A: Some good riddles for team building are questions that force employees to work together to come up with solutions. If you are looking for unique riddles for your next meeting, check out this list.
Q: What are the benefits of solving riddles?
- A: The benefits of solving riddles include boosting creative problem solving skills, team chemistry, and group intelligence.
Q: Can employees and coworkers play the riddle game virtually?
- A: Yes, employees and coworkers can play the riddle game virtually through applications like Skype and Microsoft Teams. Sometimes, they may simply need to download and print the games, so they have them on hand.
Q: When should I use riddles for work?
- A: You should use riddles for work anytime work begins to feel monotonous for employees. Additionally, riddles for work are a great way to assimilate and onboard new hires.