It’s important to maintain a certain level of normalcy and to celebrate the small wins and employee milestones along the way — even as companies transition to remote work and reorganize the employee experience.
One event, in particular, that’s important to celebrate is remote employee birthdays.“It is about workplace flexibility. It’s about giving our associates the opportunity to be who they are as an individual, whether that is a community member, a spouse or parent, or anything in between.” — Amy Freshman Click To Tweet
Birthday celebrations are easier to coordinate and plan when everyone is in the office.
You can still get crafty to have a just-as-meaningful celebration virtually. With a little bit of planning and creativity, you can make sure your remote employees and dispersed team members feel celebrated on their big day.
So grab your party hat, grab a slice of cake, and check out some ridiculously fun remote employee birthday ideas to use at work!
Want to become a better professional in just 5 minutes?
14 Ways To Celebrate Remote Employee Birthdays
1) Send Them A Birthday Gift Box
It’s always a nice feeling to know that someone is thinking of you on your birthday, especially if you are far away from home. If you have a remote employee who is celebrating a birthday, why not show them you are thinking of them by sending them a birthday gift box?
There are many gifting companies that offer this service, and it is a great way to make your remote employees feel appreciated. You can choose from delectable treats, premium company swag, electronics, and all sorts of employee gifts!
Pro-Tip: Try adding a theme for the gift box, or simply select items that you know the person will appreciate. In either case, your remote employees will be sure to appreciate the thoughtfulness and your employee engagement will skyrocket as a result.
👉 Take this 60-second quiz to get personalized results.
2) Send Treats To Everyone On Your Team (Like Bringing Cupcakes To School On Your Birthday)
Birthdays are a time to celebrate, and remote employees should feel just as special on their big day as in-office workers. One way to show your remote team you care is to send them birthday treats. You can go the extra mile and ship a package of their favorite snacks or a fun gift.
Whatever you do, take the time to make your remote employees feel appreciated on their birthdays. It’s a small gesture that can go a long way in building morale and maintaining a strong remote team.
Pro-Tip: Try using a company like Caroo to allow each employee to select birthday treats by budget, dietary restrictions, and personal preferences ensuring the birthday box that arrives is something they’d actually enjoy.
3) Sign An E-Card And Give It To Them On Their Birthday
Even though you can’t be there in person to celebrate your remote employee’s birthday, you can still make them feel special on their big day. One way to do this is to sign an e-card and send it to them on their birthday.
This is a quick and easy way to let them know that you’re thinking of them and that you appreciate them.
Plus, it’s a great way to stay connected with remote employees and build relationships with them. So next time someone in your remote workforce has a birthday, don’t forget to sign an e-card and send it their way.
Pro-Tip: Try out CareCards as a great way to ensure that your remote employee receives all the recognition they deserve on their birthday!
4) Set Up A Remote Employee Birthday Program
Are you having trouble keeping track of all your remote employee birthdays?
If so, you might want to consider setting up a remote employee birthday program. This can be a great way to show your employees that you care about them and their well-being. There are a few things you’ll need to do in order to set up such a program.
First, you’ll need to gather the birth dates of all of your remote employees. You can do this by asking them for their date of birth when they first start working for you, or by checking their HR files.
Once you have all of the birth dates, you’ll need to choose a day each month to celebrate remote employee birthdays. This can be the first day of the month or any other day that works for your schedule.
On the chosen day, take a few minutes to send each remote employee a birthday e-card or message. Celebrating remote employee birthdays is a great way to show your employees that you appreciate them and value their contributions to your company.
Pro-Tip: You can set up an automated remote employee birthday program that will send your colleague a customized birthday box, ecard, or celebration message to recognize them on their big day!
5) Plan A Virtual Birthday Party
With a little bit of extra effort, you can make sure your remote employees still feel loved and appreciated on their special day.
Here are a few tips for how to plan the perfect virtual birthday party:
1 Send a personalized e-card or video message from the whole team. This is a great way to start off the day and make your remote employee feel appreciated.
2 Plan some fun activities that can be done virtually, such as games, quizzes, or trivia. Make sure to include everyone in the festivities!
3 Send a birthday care package ahead of time so that your employee has something to open on their big day. A few small gifts or treats will do the trick.
4 Host a virtual happy hour so that everyone can relax and chat with each other. This is a great opportunity to catch up and bond with teammates.
Pro-Tip: You can work with a virtual event professional to help host your party and lead you and your group through tons of games and activities including:
6) Give Them The Morning Off
Another great perk that can be given to remote employees is the ability to take the morning off on their birthday. This doesn’t have to be a full day, but just a few hours in the morning so that they can enjoy their special day.
Since they’re not in the office, they can sleep in, relax, and do whatever they want without having to worry about work.
This is a small but thoughtful gesture that will go a long way in making your remote employees feel appreciated. And who knows, maybe they’ll even use their extra time to work on something great for the company!
Pro-Tip: Since they’re not in the office, encourage them to sleep in, relax, and do whatever they want without having to worry about work. You can also give them a treat to make their morning a little sweeter:
7) Send Them A Company-Wide Shutout
For remote employees, who may not have the opportunity to interact with co-workers on a daily basis, a birthday shoutout can help to create a sense of community and belonging. And there’s no need to go overboard.
So next time one of your remote employees has a birthday, take a moment to celebrate with them – it will mean the world to them, and it just might help to build a stronger team.
Pro-Tip: A simple post on the company’s intranet or social media page wishing your colleague a happy birthday is sure to put a smile on their face. Also, you can use Bonusly to start a birthday wall post where employees can join in and wish the special birthday boy/girl all on the same comment chain.
8) Get Them Something Off Their Amazon Wishlist
Birthdays are a time to celebrate, and what better way to show your employees you care than by getting them a gift from their Amazon Wishlist?
Not only will they be surprised and delighted to receive a present, but it will also be something that they really want and will use. You can even use a platform like Nectar to streamline this process and make it possible to order birthday gifts each month!
Pro-Tip: To get started, simply ask your employees for their Amazon Wishlists or visit their profiles to see what items they have wishlisted. Then, make your selections and have the gifts shipped directly to their home or office. Your employees will appreciate the thoughtfulness, and you’ll be sure to put a smile on their faces on their special day.
9) Create A Customized Birthday Playlist On Spotify
Spotify is a great way to create a birthday playlist for your remote employees. To get started, simply create a new playlist and add the employee’s name to the title.
Then, add songs that are special to the employee or that reflect their personality. You can also include popular songs that are currently trending.
Creating a birthday playlist on Spotify is a great way to show your employees how much you appreciate them and make their birthday celebration even more special.
Pro-Tip: Be sure to update the playlist regularly so that it stays fresh and up-to-date. You can also share the playlist with other employees so they can listen and add their own suggestions.
10) Send Them A Birthday Sash To Wear To Meetings
A birthday sash is a wonderful way to show employees how much you value their contributions to the company. Not only will they feel appreciated, but they’ll also feel more connected to their colleagues. Wearing a birthday sash is a great way to show employees that you’re thinking of them and that you appreciate everything they do for the company.
It’s a fun way to celebrate their birthday! Employees will love feeling like they’re part of the festivities, and it’ll be a great way to start off their birthday celebration. So go ahead and send your employees a birthday sash today! They’ll be sure to appreciate it.
Pro-Tip: Send them a sash ahead of time so that it arrives well before their special day!
11) Add A Birthday Zoom Background To Your Lunch Party!
What better way to celebrate your birthday than with a Zoom background? This year, why not add a festive birthday zoom background to your lunch party? There are plenty of free and paid options available online, so you can find the perfect one to suit your taste.
A birthday zoom background can really help to set the mood for your party and make it extra special.
Talk about a great way to show off your personal style and make your party stand out from the rest. So what are you waiting for? Get searching for the perfect birthday zoom background today!
Pro-Tip: Give your birthday employee at least a full hour to really soak in all the birthday joy!
12) Make Them Into A Cartoon
Hiring remote employees is a great way to get the talent you need without having to pay for office space. However, working with someone who is not physically present can be a challenge. One way to make things more fun and engaging is to turn your remote employee into a cartoon character. This will help them to stand out from the rest of your team and make it easier for you to keep track of their work.
Pro-Tip: You can use a tool like Bitmoji or Cartoonify to create a custom avatar for your employee. Or take it to the next level and commission a painting to frame their cartoon for their workspace with Turned Yellow.
13) Weekend Getaway On The Company
If you work remotely, you may feel like you never get a chance to take a break. You’re always tethered to your laptop, and even when you’re on vacation, you’re likely to end up doing a little bit of work here and there.
But what if your company gave you the opportunity to take a real break?
Recently, more and more companies have been offering their remote employees the chance to go on a weekend getaway. If you’re feeling burnt out, a weekend getaway might be just what you need. And who knows? Maybe your company will be the next to offer this awesome perk.
Pro-Tip: These trips should be fully paid for by the company, and they’re a great way to bond with your coworkers and recharge your batteries. A Blueboard company rewards gift can be used to send them on a weekend trip to get out of their home
14) Send A Discount To Their Favorite Restaurant Or Family Event
Even though they are out of the office, it’s still important to show your remote employees some love.
A great way to do this is to send a discount to their favorite restaurant or family event. This will let them know that you are thinking of them and appreciate their hard work. It will also give them a chance to enjoy a nice meal or special event without having to worry about the cost.
So go ahead and show your remote employees some love with a discount at their favorite restaurant or family event.
Pro-Tip: Be sure to find out what their favorite restaurant is ahead of time!
People Also Ask These Questions About A Remote Employee Birthday Party
Q: What can you do to make a remote employee’s birthday special?
- A: There are a few things you can do to make a remote employee’s birthday special. First, send them a card. It’s not just the thought that counts, it’s also the personal touch. You can also include a gift card to their favorite restaurant or store. Another nice touch is to have a cake or other treat delivered to their office. If you have the budget, you could even fly them out for a special birthday dinner or celebration. The most important thing is to make sure they feel appreciated and valued on their big day. A little thoughtfulness goes a long way in making a remote employee feel like part of the team.
Q: Can you celebrate employee birthdays virtually?
- A: Yes, you can celebrate employee birthdays virtually. Although it may not be the same as gathering around the office birthday cake, there are still plenty of ways to make virtual birthday celebrations fun and memorable. For example, you could send e-cards or create a special video message from the team. You could also hold a virtual birthday party over video chat, complete with games, prizes, and decorated virtual backgrounds. Whatever approach you choose, the important thing is to let your employees know that you are thinking of them on their special day. A little effort can go a long way in making your team feel valued and appreciated.
Q: How do you make a remote employee feel special on their birthday?
- A: Working remotely has its perks, but it can also be isolating at times. So, on a remote employee’s birthday, it’s important to go the extra mile to make them feel special and appreciated. First, start the day with a video call to wish them a happy birthday. Then, send them a fun e-card, gift card, or gift box that they can use to treat themselves. If possible, arrange for a group video call later in the day so that they can celebrate with their colleagues. And finally, end the day with another video call to sing “Happy Birthday.” By going above and beyond, you’ll let your remote employees know that they are valued members of the team.
Q: What do I need to do to wish a remote employee a happy birthday?
- A: Wishing a remote employee a happy birthday is easy! First, you will need to find out the date of their birth. You can do this by asking them directly, checking public records, or looking through old photos or documents. Once you have the date, you can send them a card or gift through the mail. You can also give them a call on their birthday, or send them a message through email or social media. Whatever you do, make sure to include a personal touch! A simple “Happy Birthday!” message will let them know that you are thinking of them on their special day.